- Lactose in dairy is hard to digest for humans over three years of age. We go through a genetic down regulation in the production of this enzyme as a natural part of aging.
- The majority of dairy sold in the U.S. is genetically modified and loaded with hormones.
- The cows that produce the milk are not pastured, they are gluten fed.
- Products are pasteurized. This denatures proteins and damages the other immune boosting properties of milk.
- Fat is removed. Skim milk is toxic. Fat is not unhealthy. Unhealthy fat is. The difference is in how the animal is fed. In the case of the cow – grains are the primary staple. Fat derived from grain is highly inflammatory thus promoting and perpetuating chronic disease.
- Most dairy products contain thickening agents made with grains.
- Many products contain added sugar or artificial sweeteners and flavors. These chemicals are not conducive to good health.
- One of the main proteins in GMO dairy, casein, has been shown to contribute to autoimmune diseases of the skin including eczema and psoriasis. This same protein in strikingly similar in structure to gluten.
- Clinically speaking, people who go gluten free/dairy free typically have faster recovery of illness than those only going gluten free.
If you want dairy in your gluten free diet remember that you should only buy from a grass fed source. Regular grocery stores carry products that are derived from cattle that are grain fed and contain hormones. Remember that organic on dairy means that the cow was fed organic grain and this is not what you want when avoiding gluten.
Grass fed dairy can be found at a local farmer’s market. It's worth the extra step!